Nintendo hides Wii’s HD

Nintendo hides Wii’s HD

by Bradley DeLorenzoFebruary 16, 2007

Nintendo’s Ace up their sleeve?

The Inquirer got word from a drunk NOA exec that the Wii GPU has full hi-def capabilities even if they are not exposed.

The reason you don’t see it is two-fold, the fact that the console can’t really push HD rez at reasonable frame rates and the fact that it would cost more. The latter will probably become a moot point with the first Wii refresh but the former problem is really here to stay.

I don’t think this is really that big of a surprise. The Xbox had a bunch of games in 720p and if it turns out this is true I don’t think the Wii needs to run things in 1080I. I’m thinking that in a year or so, we’ll start to see some HD Wii games pop up. It’s good to know that at least it’s under the hood.

The Wii has it’s Excalibur.

More at The Inquirer

Bradley DeLorenzo
  • matthew
    February 16, 2007 at 8:13 pm

But if the NOA exec says the Wii just can’t push HD…even if they enable it, is it going to suffer?

• matthew
    February 16, 2007 at 8:13 pm

• matthew
    February 16, 2007 at 8:13 pm

• matthew
    February 16, 2007 at 1:13 pm

• February 16, 2007 at 8:24 pm

As of right now it’s looking that way.

I don’t think 720p is out of the question though. It will be interesting to see how this develops.

• February 16, 2007 at 1:24 pm

As of right now it’s looking that way.

• shanoboy
    February 16, 2007 at 9:03 pm

I think this is awesome. Mainly because I’m sick of hearing the graphics argument. I’m sure the Wii can produce some graphically awesome games if the developers really started pushing it. Right now most developers are probably rushing to get games on the store shelves to cash in on the console’s huge popularity. Thats why most first gen games suck on most all systems (atleast thats what I’ve always assumed).

Haters can start looking for something new to bitch about now!

• shanoboy
    February 16, 2007 at 9:03 pm

Haters can start looking for something new to bitch about now!

• shanoboy
    February 16, 2007 at 9:03 pm

Haters can start looking for something new to bitch about now!

• shanoboy
    February 16, 2007 at 2:03 pm

Haters can start looking for something new to bitch about now!

• February 16, 2007 at 9:16 pm

I’m still debating whether to get the official Nintendo Component cable or a third-party cable. There’s an XCM cable that supports all the latest consoles for a really good price. But it looks kinda ugly, on the other hand, I really like my items to match. I read Nyko is coming out with their own HD cable, haven’t seen any pics yet. I almost can not hold it any longer, if I wait any longer, I must get the XCM one instead.

// Roth

• February 16, 2007 at 2:16 pm

// Roth

• Soiden
    February 17, 2007 at 4:35 am

This may mean a new version of the Wii with better graphic capacities is very very possible and the price won’t go up very much.

• Soiden
    February 17, 2007 at 4:35 am

• Soiden
    February 16, 2007 at 9:35 pm

• quinnten83
    February 17, 2007 at 2:03 pm

How about an add on á la Nintendo HDD?

• quinnten83
    February 17, 2007 at 7:03 am

How about an add on á la Nintendo HDD?

• JOE
    February 17, 2007 at 4:22 pm

ZOMG “Dunk Nintendo Exex”

Sooooo reliable

/sarcasm

• JOE
    February 17, 2007 at 4:22 pm

ZOMG “Dunk Nintendo Exex”

Sooooo reliable

/sarcasm

• JOE
    February 17, 2007 at 9:22 am

ZOMG “Dunk Nintendo Exex”

Sooooo reliable

/sarcasm

• February 24, 2008 at 9:53 pm

go fuck yourelf nintendo.

• February 24, 2008 at 4:53 pm

go fuck yourelf nintendo.