The Official Wii Fit Experiment kick off!

The Official Wii Fit Experiment kick off!

by Mickey DeLorenzoMay 1, 2008

It’s been 1 year and 2 months since I finished my Wii Sports Experiment, where I lost 9lbs., BMI went down two points, 3 inches off my waist, lower heart rate and more. You can see my before and after photos, video, charts, stats, and more, HERE. After the experiment I received international media attention from the largest and most respected news agencies in the world;

NBC 10 Television Report – Watch

South Philadelphia Review – View
The Washington Post – View
The LA Times
NY Daily News – View
Sydney Morning Herald
Metro UK
The Straits Times (Singapore)
VCD Magazine – View

C-NET News – View
RegHardware – View
IGN – View
GameSpot – View
BBC Radio One – View
Sydney Morning Herald – View

I’m still getting interview request today and was just last week I was featured on Yahoo! and RE: “How does gaming exercise work“. I was even featured next to Miyamoto and Steve Jobs in TIME: Year in Review

ANYWAY, I’m here to officially announce my highly anticipated “Wii Fit Experiment”!

Above: Me busting the scales at 191lbs. just before I started the Wii Fit Experiment

This time around I will do basically what I did last time, just adding in a few more control elements. I will continue to do everything I normally do, eat everything I normally eat and see if anything changes after playing 30-60 minutes of Wii Sports everyday for 5 weeks (1 week after the US Wii Fit Launch day). If I miss a day, I’ll make a note of it and that weeks report.

Nintendo was kind enough to hook me up with the US version of Wii Fit to allow me to start my experiment early. They also flew me to New York in mid-March to demo Wii Fit for over an hour. The experiment will conclude in early June and the results will be posted.

Of course doing anything involving movement an extra 60 minutes a day (everyday) will result in some sort of weight loss, well that may be so, but I again I want to chart, graph, measure, document, and record the process. I’m weighing in at 191lbs. before Wii Fit began, I’m not setting any goal for myself, rather I’m just going to go through the program without any preconceptions or anything like that. That way the results will most likely (if they happen at all) will be more natural. I don’t want to try “extra hard” or not eat for a week to get to some kind of certain number to prove a point.

Alright, time to start sweatin’ to the f’n’ oldies part 2, here’s the plan:

Unlike Wii Sports, Wii Fit has a built-in scale and BMI calculator, so I will be using them to keep track as well as my own scale (where I will weigh myself 3 extra times a day to get an average). It also introducing muscle building and toning, so I hope the extra muscle mass will help with my daily calorie burn and ultimately more fat loss.

wii fit experiment

I will be keeping track of the following:

– Weight (via Wii Fit and a Digital Scale)
– Heart Rate (at rest)
– Calories burned per session/per game (via BioTrainer)
– Body fat % (via a Digital Body Fat Caliper a body fat scale and a dietician)
– Pain/Soreness
– Additional Notes/Findings

I plan on taking all of the measurements three times a day to get an extremely accurate number, that way if I weigh myself before a meal or in the morning, it should counter balance my weight before bed or after a meal.

I will also be filming myself turning in a circle to see if there is any visual difference. And just like last time I’m going to set up my video camera and capture some 1,260 minutes then time lapse the footage to around 2 minutes, so that should be interesting.

I won’t be posting any mid-term updates, I’m going to wait until all the data and photos have been collected and write up a complete synopsis.

Profile photo of Mickey DeLorenzo
Mickey DeLorenzo
  • Profile photo of
    May 1, 2008 at 12:22 pm

Good luck! I’m hoping for some sweet results, my decision on whether or not to get WiiFit will be decided almost entirely by your experiment… and whether or not I start hearing about a serious snowboarding title coming out for it. Shaun White got a snowboarding game made by Ubisoft right? and Ubisoft looks to be adopting the balance board early on with their raving Rabbids, eh eh? wink wink, nudge nudge.

• flamingsquirrel
    May 1, 2008 at 2:36 pm

Alright, can’t wait for the results from this!

• Profile photo of
    May 1, 2008 at 5:13 pm

Hope it goes as well as the Wii Sports experiment.

• JB
    May 1, 2008 at 6:20 pm

Did you gain twenty pounds just for this Wii Fit experiment?

• Profile photo of
    May 1, 2008 at 6:33 pm

I was noticing that too JB… padding the stats AND his waist-line for this one, hehe. How tall are you Mickey? You don’t look like 191 pounds.

• JB
    May 1, 2008 at 6:38 pm

And how does a blogger maintain that perfect posture? ;D

• Profile photo of Mickey DeLorenzo
    May 1, 2008 at 9:39 pm

I didn’t gain it on purpose, cold Philly winter + drinking + pizza + no Wii Sports or biking… After stopping the Wii Sports experiment I packed on the pounds, it goes to show how well my 6 week experiment really did. I should have stuck with it instead of playing Metroid/Mario/Guitar Hero/ etc…

At least with Wii Fit it’s specifically geared towards fitness and it will be easier to use at an everyday game/tool for exercise.

• May 2, 2008 at 6:06 am

I honestly think you looked better with a bit of meat on you :)

• May 2, 2008 at 7:38 am

Dang Mickey, you put on some weight! Since leaving Philly and heading to DC I’ve lost more than 27 pounds ->

I hope Wii fit can do it for you. My fiance looks excited about Wii fit.

• PaulT
    May 2, 2008 at 9:50 am

“I’m not setting any goal for myself”

I got Wii Fit on Monday (yay Europe, for once!) and it’s working out fine for me so far. It’s worth nothing though that after setting it up and going through your first weigh-in / balance check, the first thing it asks you to do is to set a goal for yourself 😉 Mine was to lower my BMI and lose a certain amount of weight in 3 months, but you can choose your own goal and duration.

• Sam
    May 4, 2008 at 12:57 pm

Would there be a way for you to identify the weight limit of the game, and e-mail me the answer. I really want the game, but at 320 may not be abkle to use it.

• Andy
    May 6, 2008 at 6:52 am

Weight limit for the Wii Fit is 23st 7lbs

• Mike
    May 29, 2008 at 12:58 am

Here’s hoping your follow through on this is better than on your last promised ‘experiment’:

Similar big announcement, and then nothing.

• Profile photo of SirVenom
    May 29, 2008 at 6:55 pm

True, we never did hear anything from that… but this one is a few days from completion already.

• MsAngry
    May 30, 2008 at 8:28 am

I’ve had my Wii Fit for about 3 weeks now. I’ve done 20 hours in that time.

It’s brill, I am getting absorbed and moving about – result! – but a few things spring to mind that would improve Wii Fit…

It would be good if the balance board could measure body fat, rather than BMI.

I’m female. I do weights regularly. I am 5’8″ and only 26% fat, but I weigh 12 stone (168 lbs), so my BMI “health” (27ish) is much worse than my real bodyfat “health” which is only 1% over the recommended max level.

On the rhythm boxing, it’s a pain being shown what to do before each level, so I copy the guy doing the demoing just to keep the calorie burn up. Some other way of indicating what needs to be done in real time, like on the step module, would be much better.

I can’t add on extra ankle-weights when doing the step stuff – it get’s confused and thinks someone else is using my Mii.

I am aiming to do the Wii Fit to help get my bodyfat to around 20% so I get a bit of definition. I’ll post up the results. I need to keep my muscle mass the same and lose around 8 more lbs of fat to achieve 20%. So my target weight will be 11st 7lbs.

I am doing the supporting monitoring with a Polar F11 heart rate monitor and Tanita Ironman scales.

Cheers for the blog post – very interesting.

• Julie
    May 30, 2008 at 8:49 pm

I pre-ordered my wii fit and received it on may 20th. I do 3o minutes and then 30 minutes on my elliptical per day. So far I have lost 4 pounds. Although the wii fit is not my only exercise, I have to say that it is motivating and keeps me going. I think it is a great warm up for those who are somewhat fit, and would be perfect for those who are new to exercise.

• Profile photo of Mickey DeLorenzo
    June 6, 2008 at 10:15 pm

>>Here’s hoping your follow through on this is better than on >>your last promised ‘experiment

The reason I put the DDR experiment on hold, was because I found out that Wii Fit was coming out in May, so I postponed it/canceled it for the Wii Fit Experiment. Sorry for the bail out.

• OneChordWonder
    June 18, 2008 at 2:46 am

So where are the results?

• Mickey
    June 22, 2008 at 6:50 pm

The results are in and I’ll be posting the “Results Article” with video, stats, and more tomorrow. June 23rd.

• Aggy
    August 22, 2008 at 12:23 pm

I’ve lost 28 pounds since the beginning of May on Wiifit, bottom line, if you put the time in, it works. I just got another 28 or so to go.