Sonic Colors – Info from E3 “Behind Closed Doors” Interview
E3 2010 has come and gone. However, we are not quite done sharing information. Both hey_suburbia and I were able to get 2 behind closed door interviews. The first was with the game Sonic Colors. Lead developer, Takashi Iizuka explained the game and answered a few questions. Below is a list of the information we learned about Sonic Colors.
- Follows Sonic Unleashed.
- Gains color-associated powers (Wisps).
- Sonic is the only playable character.
- Eggman puts a theme park in space, which is where the game’s levels are located. It includes 7 planets, 1 satellite, and Eggman’s ship.
- The writers are American.
- Act 1 takes place in a tropical resort and starts off in 3D.
- The game will have the same moveset as Unleashed.
- The boost gage will be filled from Wisps, not rings.
- To activate the purple powered Wisp, you will shake the Wii Remote.
- There is a maximum of 99 rings you can collect at one time (noticed as Iizuka played).
- You will unlock more Wisp powers as you progress.
- The music is bright and colorful, unlike other 3D Sonic games, and closer to 2D Sonics.
- Each color power allows you to reach other areas from previous levels, increasing the replayability.
- The second stage in Act 1 is Sweet Mountain.
- 20+ hours of gameplay.
- 6+ Wisp color powers.
- Tails and Eggman seen, but not playable.
- Roughly 50/50 on 2D and 3D gameplay.
- Similar to Sonic Rush gameplay and style.
- Some Wisp color powers overlap from Wii version, but not all; some are DS-exclusive.
- Knuckles and Amy seen, but not playable.
- Holiday 2010 release for both games.
- When asked why the developers picked Wii and DS, they answered: “Sonic is most successful on Nintendo platforms, and it is better for the developers to focus on one console. That makes for a better game.”